The other evening I was sitting on my couch in my front room and looked up at my ceiling. There, glaring back at me, was my ugly, out of style ceiling fan. I said out loud (to an empty room), “God, that’s ugly!!” 🙂 That’s when it clicked……why don’t I do something about it?!?!
My mission the next day was to not go to bed until I had done something to make it look better. A friend requested a brief how-to describing what I did….so here ya go! 🙂
My décor in my front room is mostly blues and creamy white and tan colors. I decided to stick with that color scheme for the fan. I forgot to take a before picture of the fan…oops! The blades were a dark wood grain with gold fixtures. The globe had an out of date peach and green flower decal on either side. Needless to say, it completely clashed with what I have going on in that room.
- First step was to remove the fan blades. It is beneficial to have someone help you when doing this, but not necessary. There were a couple of times when unscrewing the blades, the teensy screws dropped and then I had to crawl around the room looking for them. lol 🙂 If you have someone down on the floor, they can catch things or at least see where the darn screws fall!
- Next, remove the fixtures (the parts that connect the blades to the fan motor) from the blades. I washed, sanded, and washed (again) both the blades and fixtures before painting them. The fan blades had a finish on them, so in order to make sure the paint sticks, I sanded as much of the finish off as I could.
- I painted the fixtures and blades with Krylon ColorMaster paint & primer spray paint. It did a good job of covering. I only needed one coat for the gold fixtures and two coats for the blades, mainly since they were a darker wood color.
- After the blades were dried, I got out my acrylic craft paint, stencil brush, stencil and painters tape. I also got out my secret weapon…….my hairdryer! 🙂 Yup! I tend to be inpatient when working on my craft projects and I’ve learned the hairdryer helps a lot with that. 😉 I lined the stencil up on the first blade and taped it down with painter’s tape. Using the stencil brush I dabbed the paint on over the stencil. If you don’t have one or have never used a stencil brush, they are very easy to find and easy to use. You can typically find them at any craft store and I believe I have seen them at Wal-Mart and home improvement stores as well. Below is a picture of my stencil and the stencil brush.
- The stencil was not long enough to cover the entire blade, so what I did before removing the stencil and sliding it down was, I blow dried the paint. I used the drier for about 30 seconds to a minute, not too long. I wanted it just dry enough that it wouldn’t come off on my hands or on the stencil. I lined the stencil up to the design I had already painted on the blade. This will take a minute and I recommend looking it over to be sure you have it laid out right before you start painting. This particular design played some tricks on my eyes so I re-checked each time before starting painting so I didn’t make a mistake in lining things up. Do this with each fan blade. Let them dry.
- Re-attach the painted and dried fixtures (see above).
- Re-attach the blades/fixtures to the fan motor. This is another step that would go smoother with an extra set of hands. It can be done alone, as I did, but definitely would go easier with a helper.
- This step would be the step of putting up the new globe, however, I haven’t gotten to that point yet!! 🙂 I went out and bought a globe, but unfortunately it didn’t fit. I would recommend measuring the opening of the globe before going to the store! lol 😉
For those of you curious to see how I did it, there it is!! 🙂 Any questions, please feel free to send me a message!